Poached BC Spot Prawns with Spinach and Creamed Leeks
Poached BC Spot Prawns
with Spinach and Creamed Leeks
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 16 large BC spot prawn tails
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 250 mL (1 cup) leeks, chopped, white and green parts only
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) whipping cream
- salt, pepper and ground nutmeg, to taste
- 500 mL (2 cups) baby spinach, washed and drained, tightly packed
Place the prawn tails in one layer in a shallow pan. Cover the prawns with boiling salted water and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes or until the prawns are firm and opaque. Drain, dry and peel the prawns and keep warm.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt 15 mL (1 tbsp) butter and sweat the leeks in butter until soft. Add cream, cook and reduce until mixture takes on a creamy consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Keep warm.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining butter and add the spinach. Sauté until the spinach is wilted and season with salt.
Divide the spinach onto 4 plates. Top each with a portion of creamed leeks and 4 spot prawns and serve.
Courtesy of Robert Clark, Executive Chef - C, Raincity Grill and NU Restaurants Vancouver, B.C. Copyright 2006